Wednesday, October 5, 2011

anger bursts and the spirit of giving

So.. if you're my Facebook friend, you might have read that I was so angry I could've busted a cap in someone's leg, or something along those lines. I was maaaaad. I was so mad it was funny.

Honestly, it's the craziest thing how mad one can be when you're on the phone with an idiot. But they will always beat you with experience!

I'll start off by saying this: NEVER go to Hotel Santa Barbara. If you need a reason why, here's why.
Back in June, I made a reservation for my boss for an event he was attending in September. On August 31, I called to change the reservation to October because the event date had changed.

We found out last night that we were charged for the September reservation. I called today to find out why, and they claim it was because we never cancelled the first reservation. Which is dumb because I called to change it, not make a new reservation. Long story short, she wouldn't refund the money.

After hours of exchanges and providing proof in emails that were sent back and forth in discussing the changes, she still refused to refund the money. I started getting red in the face. I began to sweat and shake. I kept my voice from rising, but I knew everyone in the office was listening. I said to her, "Do you mean to tell me that you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that your establishment might have made a mistake?" Her response was, "Our reservations rep wouldn't do that." Really?? That's all ya got?



So anyway. It was incredibly frustrating. The way this story ends is she offered in the end to give us a credit for the next time my boss stays at their hotel. Ha. I replied, "No that's quite alright, we will be disputing the charges with the credit card company, but thank you for acknowledging that you just might have made a mistake."

Now that I got that off my chest, I'll move on to happier things.

***

There's this thing called CSECC which stands for the California State Employees Charitable Campaign and our department has been taking donations for an organization called WIND Youth Services. Here is their website: http://www.windyouth.org/ It is an emergency homeless shelter for youth.

They had a wish list and I've been bringing in things the last couple of days, and it's making me really happy to think some kid will get the stuff I brought and use it and maybe even like it.

I had a couple of books of lightrail passes that I purchased for a good deal when I was still working for the Legislature, so I had those to give, a few pairs of shoes that were only slightly worn- some really cute, black, suede ankle booties and adidas running shoes that I barely wore. I also had some bath salts, bath oil, body scrub, and lotion that were brand new and never used. That was on Monday I remembered to bring those things in.

Today, I remembered to bring an umbrella, brand new socks (a pack of three), conditioner, and a loofah sponge I haven't used yet, and three pretty scarves from my giant scarf-collection. Then I thought, oh the boys need something too. So I threw in my SF 49ers beanie, some men's deodorant I got at some raffle, a body gel, and soap.

Here is a photo I took before donating:




I can just picture the kids going through the stuff, and maybe seeing what I donated and thinking, Ooh I love this! I know that a girl might get those ankle booties and a scarf of mine and wear it around, resembling me. (My signature look consists of boots and a scarf.) The thought of it makes me smile. Gift-giving is a feeling I've loved for so very long. It's so much better than receiving gifts in my opinion.

So far, this week has been better than last week and definitely the week before that. It's officially fall, and I love sweater-weather. The only thing I don't like is when you wake up in the morning and it's too cold to get out of bed. But cold weather makes for a nice run in the mornings. I feel like a bullet slicing right through the cold.

I hope the rest of this week will go by pleasantly. Ooh, I just got a call from the front desk that the artist, Mr. Bernard Treanton is here for me. I can't wait to see what art he has to show me today!

1 comment:

  1. That story about the hotel made me really angry. I was getting pissed just reading. What an arrogant woman. Ridic!

    That's really sweet you are donating all that stuff. You have such a big heart!!

    ReplyDelete