Thursday, October 6, 2011

a farewell to steve jobs and other reflections

Yesterday, an American icon passed away. He is the reason we have beautifully spaced type font on all of our laptops and computers. He is the innovator of our generation. He has changed the world forever.

But I didn't care that much about him until I came across his 2005 Stanford commencement speech in 2009.
I had just graduated from American River College in December of 2008 and was at UCD. I had to go back to ARC to walk the stage for my Associates degree in June. I wanted to try out for the graduation speaker competition. I was looking online for inspiration and was going through a lot of videos of different speeches that have been given at different schools over the years. I came across Steve Job's speech that he gave at Stanford in 2005, and listened. His words spoke directly to my heart.

As someone who was adopted at birth to working-class parents, and who made a decision to drop out of college after only one semester because of the financial burden it was having on his family, he has experienced hardships that I can relate to in so many ways. For different reasons, of course, and our lives are so completely different, but it's interesting how catastrophes can be life-altering moments where it changes how we view life, our selves, and our potential. In the face of death, he realized that each day is an opportunity and each day should never be wasted. I can attest to that.

I can also attest to the fact that he can say that it was one college class he dropped in on that changed the course of his life. In my entire college and professional school career thus far, I can say only a handful of all of the classes I ever took were life-changing, but I can say they truly changed my life. And that is more than someone can say about their PhD or their MBA. Or a JD. And some of those life-changing classes I took were at junior college.

There are so many things he has said in that speech that I will never forget, but the part about not being able to connect the dots looking forward echos in my ear right now. Five years ago, I was reborn. I know that now because I am looking backwards. I can't see where I'll be in another five years, but I have to believe and have faith that I will be where I was meant to be. I'll hold on to that with all of my soul. Thanks Mr. Jobs. Farewell.



****

Random Acts of Love and Kindness

Today, as I sit here typing away on my blog, I am simultaneously enjoying the best sandwich I've ever tasted from La Bonne Cafe. It's a veggie sandwich on a fresh, warm, sourdough roll, with squash, zucchini, tomato, green, leafy lettuce, little pieces of red and yellow bell peppers, and mushrooms sauteed ever so slightly in butter and garlic sauce, with a touch of cream cheese. Brought to me by my colleague, Mike Martinez, Legislative Director and Deputy Commissioner at CDI. I heart him. And this sandwich. It's absolutely delicious and perfect.

Then, "The" Darrel Woo, Mayor of Il Fornaio, school board member and staff counsel here walks by and drops off a card of his massage therapist because of my migraines and back pain. What kindness.

I do not take these things for granted. It makes me smile and brightens my day. I am surrounded by wonderful people and have wonderful friends. I am grateful for them every day.



****

My Meeting with Artist Bernard Treanton

I am so excited to tell the Commissioner about this artist. He was so wonderful. He left in my possession three original art pieces and 26 photographs of his art. I cannot wait to make my presentation to Dave. The art is so beautiful. He came and I showed him the walls that we are hoping to adorn with some art, and we talked about what Commissioner Jones is looking for. He shared with me that he is from France, and I told him I have a friend there now, staying in Bordeaux, and he smiled. He has been painting and sketching for over 30 years, he shared with me, and has worked with many other renowned artists. He does mainly landscapes- up and down the state of California and many scenes of France- and I love his warm and fun use of colors. Here are a few more of his samples: 





He asked if Commissioner Jones is a boat person. I didn't know how to answer that, but I said I'm sure he is. It was really cute. He asked if we would be taking any commission if he were to sell any art. I said absolutely not. It was so cute that he asked! I am probably going to buy a few of his art pieces myself. It might make a great gift to my parents for Christmas this year. My dad is a boat person. I will probably buy the boat painting for my dad. He would really like it. Mr. Treanton shared with me that his wife takes him to this location (the boat scene above) every year for his birthday. I think it's so sweet. It has a special meaning for him, this boat location.

So I am really hoping this works out and that we will finally have some art up on the walls at CDI!

I just looked out the window to check the sky, and I can see the big, grey clouds moving. They are moving fast and westward. It's already Thursday. Overall, it's been a good week. I am thankful for everything in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment